If you’ve been locked out of your Charlotte property, you know it can be a real pain to get back in. And if you don’t have a spare key, breaking in through a window or door can be costly and time-consuming. But what if there was an accessible and easy way to cut through a padlock without using bolt cutters? In this blog post, we will show and tell you how to do just that. Keep reading for tips and tricks to cut through a padlock easily!
How to Break a Lock Without Bolt Cutters
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to break a lock but don’t have bolt cutters handy, there are a few tools nearby that you can try.
Use a Hacksaw Blade
As with any sawing project, it’s essential to use a sharp blade when cutting through a padlock. A dull blade makes the process more difficult and could damage the lock. Apply steady pressure while sawing to ensure that the blade doesn’t get stuck. It may take a few minutes to cut through the entire lock, but eventually, you’ll be successful.
Use an Angle Grinder
This is a swift and easy way to get through a padlock without using any special tools. Here’s what you need to do:
- Put on your proper safety gear. Angle grinders can be dangerous, so wearing eye protection and gloves is essential.
- Cut through the shackle. Position the angle grinder, so the blade is lined up with the shackle. Then, start the grinder and slowly move it back and forth until the blade cuts through the metal.
- Cut through the body of the lock. Once the shackle is cut, you can move on to cutting through the lock’s body. Position the grinder blade at the top of the lock, near where the shackle was attached. Then, start the grinder and slowly move it down the length of the lock until it cuts through.
- Remove the pieces of the lock. Once you’ve cut through the lock, you can remove the pieces. Be careful, as the angle grinder can be sharp.
- Dispose of the lock properly. You should dispose of the lock in a safe way, such as putting it in a metal recycling bin.
Use a hammer
A hammer may come in handy and is a fairly straightforward method if you want to break into a padlock without using bolt cutters. Here’s how to do it:
First, find a nail slightly thinner than the space between the teeth of the padlock. Hammer the nail into the space until it’s flush with the back of the padlock.
Next, take a sharp object like a screwdriver or a knife and insert it into the space between the teeth on the other side of the lock. Apply pressure to the sharp object while you turn the nail with a wrench or pliers. The nail will act as a fulcrum and pry the lock open.
With a little patience and effort, you should be able to easily open the lock, especially for cheap luggage locks without bolt cutters. Remember that this method may damage the padlock, so it’s not ideal for situations where you must preserve the lock.
Use a rotary tool
If you need to cut a padlock, don’t worry – you can accomplish the task with a rotary tool just as well. Here’s how:
- Start by putting on safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying debris.
- Using a rotary tool fitted with a cutting disc, start cutting through the padlock’s shackle at one of the narrowest points.
- Keep cutting until you’ve cut through the entire shackle.
- Remove the cut padlock from the now unsecured hasp or chain.
That’s all there is to it! A rotary tool can be useful if you don’t have bolt cutters on hand.
Use a plasma cutter
A plasma cutter is a versatile and convenient tool that can be used for various tasks, including cutting through metal. A common method to cut through a padlock is a bolt cutter. However, if you don’t have one accessible, a plasma cutter can also do the job. Here’s how:
- Put on safety glasses and gloves.
- Set the plasma cutter to the correct amperage for cutting through the padlock.
- Place the plasma cutter’s tip on the padlock’s shackle.
- Trigger the plasma cutter and move it along the shackle until it is completely cut through.
- Then, just repeat the last two steps on the other side of the shackle.
- Remove the padlock from the door or object it was attached to.
- Turn off the plasma cutter and unplug it from the power source.
- Remove your safety glasses and gloves.
Just be sure to read its manual and take necessary safety precautions and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
Use a Master Key
Another way is to use a few master keys. A master key is a key that can open any lock. If you have multiple master keys, simply insert one into the lock and turn it. The locking mechanism should break and open with no problem.
If All Fails, Hire a Professional!
If you’re in a bind and don’t have bolt cutters on hand, these are a few things you can do. Most padlocks are made from hardened steel, and their lock remains tight. With a bit of ingenuity, you may be able to cut the lock without damaging it too much. However, if all else fails, you’ll need to call a locksmith.
At AKM Auto Key Masters in Charlotte, NC, we have the experience and expertise to open multiple locks inside. We also have proper safety equipment to safely and quickly cut a padlock. We can also help you find a new lock that fits your needs, whether for your home, business, or car. Give us a call today for Locksmith Charlotte NC.